Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Driver's Permit

It is an interesting feeling.....to hand the keys of the car over to your teenager to teach him how to drive. I find each time I hear the words, "Mom, can I drive?" I stop dead in my tracks and a loud voice wants to scream....."NO!" And yet I quietly hand the keys over into his hands and smile as I see his face light up with excitement.
I have mixed feelings as he starts the engine and slowly backs the car out of the garage. We giggle when he makes a funny turn...we scream when we get scared....we talk in between instructions (because there is no music allowed while I am teaching) and we learn to trust each other. I am proud to see the progress that he has made and yet I fear the day he will be doing this very thing with out me.
And yet......I hope that like every other transition I have feared and then lived through with him...I will probably smile with pride and find it doesn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would.

No comments: